SOCIAL READINESS & ETIQUETTE
There are many countries and people that embrace tea as a central part of the their food culture: China, Japan, India, Russia, France, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, North America and the United Kingdom to name a few.
HIGH TEA IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
High tea is a "meal" or social entertainment at which tea is served; esp. an ordinary afternoon or evening meal, at which the usual beverage is tea (but sometimes cocoa, chocolate, coffee, or other substitute). Traditional afternoon tea consists of a selection of dainty sandwiches,, scones served with clotted cream and preserves, cakes and pastries.
DOs and DON'Ts
Do follow tea brewing instructions.
Do use sugar cubes when possible.
Do not raise or stick your pinky finger out when drinking tea.
Do not blow on hot tea.
Do not put a wet teaspoon back into the sugar container.
THE PERFECT CUP OF TEA
What you will need
Tea ball, tea strainer or infuser
How to make
1. Boil water
2. Warm pot by pouring some of the boiling water into the teapot swirl it around and then pour it out.
3. Place tea leaves into the teapot. Note: you may also put the leaves into a tea ball or infuser, which is then dropped into the pot.
4. Let tea steep for approximately 2-5 minutes depending on the tea.
5. Pour tea into a teacup using a tea strainer to avoid tea leaves entering the cup.
6. Add milk, sugar, or lemon to taste.
"For afternoon tea, cut the sandwiches into four triangles or three long fingers, and cut off the crusts first, to give a more elegant finish. Small, bite-sized sandwiches look best served alongside scones, mini tarts and slices of cake."-Mary Berry
Apple and cucumber sandwiches
½ lemon, juice only
1 apple, core removed, chopped into small pieces
¼ cucumber, finely sliced
200g/7oz cream cheese
½ bunch mint, chopped
¼ bunch flatleaf parsley, chopped
1 thin baguette, halved horizontally and lightly buttered
Smoked salmon, caper and cream cheese
150g/5½oz cream cheese
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp capers, drained, finely chopped
8 slices wholemeal bread, lightly buttered
8 slices smoked salmon
Egg and caper mayonnaise sandwiches